Bake This Now!

When I saw this recipe in Cook This Now, by Melissa Clark, I had no intentions of changing the recipe. When I check a cookbook out from the library I go through all recipes and I put a small slip of paper in between the pages to mark the recipes that interest me. Sometimes I make the recipes right away and other times I just make a copy of it and file it away for when I'm ready to try it. Kind of "old school", huh? Sometimes I mark so many pages that I might as well just buy the book, and sometimes I do. When I came upon this recipe for Coconut Fudge Brownies I knew had to try it right away. We were going to my parents house for a party and I wanted to bring something. Since most of my family loves coconut this was the perfect time to try the recipe out. I needed a couple of the ingredients, so I went to the store to get what I needed, which was coconut oil and chocolate chips. Coconut oil isn't cheap! I didn't want to buy a jar at $6.00 for one recipe. I haven't cooked with coconut oil before and I wasn't sure when the next time I would need it. As for the chocolate chips, the recipe called for bittersweet chocolate, but I accidentally bought semi-sweet. Oops. Oh well, I'll make this work. I ended up reducing the sugar to compensate for the sweeter chips and I used canola oil instead of the coconut oil. The results were so good my little great nephew, who is 4, asked if he could take home an extra piece for later.  I managed to save a couple of squares for myself to take home too.

Coconut Fudge Brownies (Adapted from Cook This Now by Melissa Clark


1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease a baking pan.  Whisk cocoa powder and boiling water until smooth.  Add unsweetened chocolate and mix well until chocolate has melted.  Stir in melted butter and canola oil.  The mixture will looked curdled, but this is OK.  Add eggs, egg yolks and vanilla and combine together well.  Mix in sugar, then flour, salt and stir in the semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Add half the batter to the prepared pan, then sprinkle with 1/2 cup coconut.  Add remaining batter on top, smooth out, and add the other half of coconut to the top.  Original instructions said to bake for 35 minutes.  I baked mine at 32 minutes. If coconut gets too toasty for your liking, while it is cooking, just put a piece of tin foil over the top. You don't want to over cook these brownies.  They may seem wet in the center if you test with a toothpick, but the brownie will become dense as they cool down.  Cut brownies after they are completely cool.  Enjoy! M :)


Comments

Popular Posts