Saturday, May 19, 2012

Razzcherry Sugar Cookies

Well folks, there are some people who don't like chocolate, believe it or not. My mother is one of those people. For as long as I can remember, she never liked milk or dark chocolate. Odd, isn't it? I love chocolate, and I am married to a chocoholic. Interestingly, his mother loves chocolate too. I wonder how much of what we eat while being pregnant effects the tastes of our children later on? While I was pregnant with our first child, I had the amazing power to stay away from chocolate. I did so because I didn't want to consume ANY caffeine. I know, the odd things we do when you're pregnant for the first time. I don't know how I did it. I had unbelievable will power and didn't have chocolate for 9 months! I wish I could maintain that will power today. When I was pregnant with our second child I ate what ever I wanted, including chocolate. Funny how my son doesn't really like desserts, and my daughter is the complete opposite. I wonder if my lack of eating chocolate had anything to with it?

My inspiration for the these cookies came from my mother's dislike for chocolate. For mother's day I wanted to make her something that she would enjoy. Why not a special cookie made just for her? One of her favorite flavors is raspberry. I thought I would mix dried raspberries with white chocolate (which she does like) in a sugar cookie. Off to the market, but sadly I could not find dried raspberries. I did find, however, razzcherries. I had never heard of razzcherries. They taste like what the name implies, raspberry and cherry. They were in the dried fruit and nut aisle by produce at Mariano's. They are cherries with a raspberry juice infused in them.  They are plump and delicious. The unique form of antioxidants from the raspberry-cherry blend packs a healthful punch. The cookie is buttery, sugary, and light. The mixture of the razzcherries and the white chocolate is wonderful. My two chocolate lovers even liked these cookies. I hope you try them. Enjoy!

Razzcherry Sugar Cookies
2 sticks of unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 cups razzcherries, chopped
1 11 ounce bag of Ghirardelli white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Beat butter at medium speed until fluffy, a few seconds, then add sugars, creaming the sugar and the butter together until light and fluffy.

Add eggs, one at a time, beating in between, then add vanilla and oil. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar. Slowly add to butter mixture, beating as you go.

Mix in white chocolate chips and chopped razzcherries. Using a small ice cream scoop or spoon, drop cookie dough on to cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake for 10 minutes, but do not brown (you could if you want a crunchier cookie). Cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack for complete cool down. Makes a lot of cookies. About 45 cookies.

No comments:

Seasonal Foods