Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Beet Chips

These beautiful beet chips are the result of roasting them in the oven, creating a healthy, crispy snack.

I tried a couple of recipes for the baked beet chips, but they didn't crisp up and they were soggy.  I thought I could get better result if I used olive oil cooking spray and cooked them at a higher temperature.  When you are purchasing your beets, select large ones. This is because when you bake them they shrink down a lot.  Everyone's ovens are different, so you may need to alter your cooking time.  Keep your eye on them the last few minutes of cooking them so you don't burn them.  I did this and I ended up throwing out half of the batch.




Baked Beet Chips

Fresh beets, look for larger ones
Kosher Salt
Olive oil cooking spray

Trim ends off of beets and then peel them with a peeler.  Your finders will turn a little red, but it will wash off.

Using a Cuisinart or mandoline, slice beets.  I used a Cuisinart with a 2mm blade attachment. I had better success with placing the beets with the larger side down on the blade of the Cuisinart. This made for a more level cutting surface on the blade whirls, cutting each slice.

Lightly spray baking sheet with olive oil.  This is where I failed with other recipes.  I used too much oil and the beets didn't get crispy.
   
Place sliced beets in rows, sprinkle with kosher salt.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place baking sheets with one on the middle rack and the other on the bottom.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Switch pans, turn over beets, add salt if you want, and bake for another 20 minutes.

After the second 20 mintes, watch the batch on the top rack so you don't burn them.  Remove to a wire rack or let them cool righ ton the pan.  They will crisp up a little more as they cool down.  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Seasonal Foods