Sunday, January 22, 2012

Joy Bauer and the Grape Tomatoes

Remember a couple of weeks ago I posted, on my personal page, a link about the 12 skinny foods for 2012 that we should be eating by Today Shows Joy Bauer? She mentioned several yummy foods that I thought I could incorporate in to my daily diet. So, I stock up on whole grain sandwich thins, cucumbers and grapefruits. I love the sandwich thins. I'm not a fan of cucumbers on their own, but in a salad they're good. I tried to eat egg white breakfast sandwiches with salsa, but after a couple of times I decided that I didn't like the cooked egg whites. I like grapefruit, so I think, OK, I'll eat those. Grape tomatoes? Sure, I can do a lot with those. Well, sometimes what seems like a good idea at the time, doesn't end up like one. Maybe you have done this. You decide you are going to eat healthy, but then don't because life got in the way. I didn't make the time. I had something I needed to do, or my personal road block, the "I got so hungry because I skipped lunch" effect. This is when all you want to do is snack on anything that is salty or sweet when you get home. So, I still have a bowl full of grapefruits that still haven't been eaten, a huge Persian cucumber that went to waste, and grape tomatoes. However, the grape tomatoes could be saved, but I had to do something with them or they would be a goner like the cucumber. My inspired thought was to roast them. I remember a Bobby Flay recipe for roasted tomato salsa that I had made before. So, I drizzled them with olive oil, sprinkled them with salt, freshly ground pepper, dried oregano and dried basil and I added chopped garlic. The smell was fresh and fragrant. I could image how they were going to taste. They looked so beautiful as the oil glistened off the grape tomatoes. I roasted them at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes. What I got was something I could eat after all, without wasting them, and still trying to eat healthy. I can toss them with spaghetti noodles, chop them to make a bruschetta and spread on those whole grain sandwich thins, or make a salsa with them. I could add them to scrambled eggs, no egg whites for me, or stir them in with some steamed green beans. Next time I try to eat "what's in", I'll buy in moderation, adding in a few new things at a time time and I'll make the time to use them. I still have that bowl or grapefruits though. Well, I'll save those recipes for another time.



No comments:

Seasonal Foods